San Juan de los Morros
Another fine piece of art in this town is San Juan Bautista's monument at Bolivar Square. Popularly called "Sanjuanote" (Big San Juan), this huge statue was ordered by Juan Vicente Gomez on the occasion of San Juan becoming capital of the state. This monument that is 19.8 m high was carved in Calabozo at Cerro El Calvario and then brought to San Juan in 1935. The Town Hall, San Juan the Evangeliser Statue and Bolívar Square were all built in the same year, during Gomez' government.
In San Juan you can visit the beautiful Parochial Church San Juan Bautista built between 1922 and 1930 over an old chapel, whose old structural walls were preserved. The building has undergone several restorations over the last years. It shelters a painting from 1779 and the Holy Sepulcher image is from late 19th century.
The thermal springs at San Juan are well known for being extremely curative due to their high sulphate content. Thanks to the healing power of these waters, the first main road to the city was built by President Guzman Blanco to access the fountains and benefit from them, according to his doctor's prescription.
Muestra Arquitectónica del casco central de la ciudad
This page was made with the collaboration of: Bethilde Fariñas Toro.